AD: DT Post
It’s release day at Simon Says Stamp! Today’s release is called “Out of this World” and it is simply amazing! I hope you’ll check it out!
My card today features the new “You Are My Universe” stamp set. I thought the galaxy technique would work well with this set, so that’s the route I went. I hope you like it:
To make this card:
- Mask a 4 x 5.25 panel so that you have a large band near the top for your galaxy. I used Post-It tape for my masking but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Create your galaxy by blending Distress Oxide inks. I started out with the lighter colors (Picked Raspberry and Squeezed Lemonade) I wanted in smaller areas, but I only do that because otherwise I forget to leave room for them!
- Once you have the smaller areas you can blend your sky – I used blues for this, but I think it would look great with purple, too! I used both large and small blending brushes so that I could be careful not to overlay the smaller, lighter areas.
- If you want to darken the edges, ink-blend a little Black Soot around the edges.
- Once you have the galaxy the way you want it, splatter the panel with a bit of water, leave for a few seconds, then dab it off. This creates a mottled look which is perfect for a galaxy.
- Once that is completely dry, splatter it with some diluted white acrylic paint. You could also do silver or gold paint!
- Once the panel is completely dry (again), remove the masking tape and stamp your sentiment.
- Adhere the panel to a piece of black cardstock cut to 4.25 x 5.5 using foam adhesive, then adhere that to your card base.
- Lastly, stamp your Saturn using Distress Oxide inks. I used sponge daubers to apply the ink directly to the stamp. I started out with the yellow in the center, then moved out in each direction – gently tapping my sponge dauber and being careful not to overlap too much. Once you have the ink on the stamp, you can stamp it on a piece of white cardstock.
- Because I had so many colors in the main circle of the planet, I chose to skip the other layer and add the rings. I used Hickory Smoke for the wider ring and I used a permanent black ink for the smaller ring.
- Die cut your Saturn.
- Adhere your Saturn to your galaxy using foam adhesive.
- Add a few gems for some sparkle!
Have you ever created a galaxy using Distress Oxide inks? If not, I hope this card inspires you to try it!
Thanks for stopping by today – be sure to check out the new release! It really is “out of this world”!
Have a wonderfully creative day, everyone!