Whenever the days gets short and I’m stuck inside more than usual (which is typical in Wisconsin during the Winter), I like to create using bold and cheerful colors. So, today, I’m sharing a super easy and colorful card that brightened my day and is sure to brighten the day of anyone that receives it.
This card uses the Flower Burst background cling stamp that is part of today’s Simon Says Stamp “Smitten” release. This cling stamp is fun because the sentiment can be removed so the stamp can be used with it, without it, or in a new configuration. For my card, I chose to remove the sentiment when I stamped the background, then stamp it separately as a popped-up element.
To make this card:
- Heat emboss the background florals in white on watercolor cardstock.
- Mist the panel with water, then use watercolor brush pens, watercolor markers, or regular watercolor paints to drop in color.
- Let the panel dry – or dry it with a craft tool, then add in more color here and there to intensify the colors and get additional contrast. If you’re using watercolor brush pens (like I did) or watercolor markers, you can color areas in directly without adding more water.
- Let the panel dry completely, then trim it down as desired.
- Stamp the sentiment in black on a piece of white cardstock, then cut it out using a stitched circle die.
- Cut out a piece of vellum using a stitched circle die that is just slightly larger than the sentiment circle.
- Once your watercolored panel is dry, adhere it to your card front with foam adhesive.
- Adhere your vellum circle with foam adhesive.
- Adhere your sentiment with more foam adhesive (if all this foam adhesive gives you more dimension than you want you can omit any/all and still get a beautiful card).
- Add a few gems for some sparkle!
If Winter makes you feel a bit gloomy like it does me, I hope this card inspires you to create something colorful and that doing so brightens your day!
Have a wonderfully creative day, everyone!